Tuesday, June 3, 2014

8 is the natural number following 7 and preceding 9 by Free Doom


Blend of fusion and progressive rock. It's also one of the longest title I have seen for an album (worth noting).

This album is quite freestyle, so be prepared for a boatload of notes and a frontal attack on your sensory nerves. Track 1, "Midichlorian Count", opens the album with some lyrical synthesizer playing a la progressive rock, announcing loud and clear what's to come (I like how it goes slightly bonkers about midway in.) Track 2, "A great disturbance", brings some calm into this debaucherie of notes. It's got a good amount of synthesizer pitch wheel playing, so if you like that sort of things, you're in for a treat. At some point, it kinda mutates into a mild flamenco with the exotic hand clapping patterns. Track 3, "Always two there are", has a bit of a drum n' bass influence, at least, at the beginning. It however morphes into something really strange which is probably not for the faint of heart (The number of notes increases drastically at some point. Be warned!) Track 4, "Mindful", seems to be an inner search into the mind of the track creator (It has that freestyle vibe written all over it.) Track 5, "These aren't the droids...", is probably my favorite track. Why? You may ask. Well, it has that nice soft melodic hook which keeps on giving. Track 6, "Use It", reminds of Mike Oldfield's best work when the ooh's and the aah's comes in. Hold on! Maybe that's actually my fave track of the album because I just love Mike Oldfield.

This concludes my review. I am sorry about all the clichés I have used to describe the tracks but I am afraid I just have trouble expressing myself when it comes to music (It ain't easy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment